My Adventures In Vegan Cooking And Baking

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Bean Tostadas

This week's dinner is another quick and easy favorite.  Tostadas!  Being a native of Arizona I have been born and raised on Mexican food.  I love it.  And when I go too long without it I crave it something fierce.  However, over the last year as I've been making lifestyle and diet changes, I've had to give up a lot of my favorites because they're loaded with meat, cheese, sour cream, and all that other "good stuff".  I've had to adapt recipes (some that came out great, and others I'm still working on), and adjust my expectations.

Tostadas, though, have been something that have stayed constant.  Yea!  All I needed to do was remove the cheese (easily removed and not really missed all that much once you add in a bunch more veggies and salsa for flavor), and sour cream (which I have substituted with a soy version that is actually surprisingly good!).





All the fixings for a easy and super yummy dinner!

I bake my corn tortillas in the oven so you're not getting all that extra, unnecessary fat, by frying them.  Lay the tortillas out on a cookie sheet in a single layer, bake in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes, then flip over and bake for another 10 minutes, or until they get a little brown and crispy.  

They you can add whatever toppings you want.  At my house we usually stick to the basics: tomatoes, lettuce, cheese (for those on in my house who eat it), salsa, olives, and your choice of sour cream (either dairy or non-dairy).  When I'm feeling like something a little extra (and when avocados are on sale!) I'll make up a batch of my famous guacamole: avocados, tomato, minced onion, seasoned salt, and lemon juice.  So good!!  

Everyone gives these a thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment